One of the biggest complaints about the Facebook app is that it can take up too many resources, particularly on older phones. Which is probably why Facebook released Facebook Lite, a super lightweight version of its app directed at developing markets.
Currently, the app is only available officially in a few countries—Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, South Africa, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Zimbabwe. It’s unlikely to stay within those countries for long. The app itself is incredibly spartan, with very little excess. The APK is about 252KB, as opposed to the 27MB that the main app can usually take up, so if you’re on an older device, a slower network, or just don’t want all the extra junk, Facebook Lite is probably exactly what you were looking for.
Before you try out Facebook Lite Let me tell you about some of the features you’ll find that are essentially different from your regular Facebook. These features include:
- Writing a Post – In Facebook Lite you don’t have the text box at the top of the page for you to start writing in. If you want to write a post you need to click on the button that says “Write” and then write your post.
- Adding Links – The button in the text box that lets you add a link in Facebook seems to be missing in Facebook Lite.
- Posting Photos – Click on the “Post Photos” link at the top of the page and you can create a photo album and add your photos.
- Birthday Announcements – Every day your friend’s birthdays of the day will be listed at the top of the page so you don’t forget any of them.
- Photo Tags – If you or one of your friends was tagged in a photo, you’ll know right from your Facebook Lite feed.
- Highlights, Requests & Suggestions – That big list of items on the right side of your Facebook page are all missing from the Facebook Lite page.
- Notifications – There’s a small link at the top of the page that lets you view all your notifications in one place using Facebook Lite.
- Friend List – Over on the left, right under your picture is a button to see your friend list.
- Your Photos and Videos – Under the friend list button is a button that allows you to see all your photo albums and videos that you’ve uploaded.
- Change Your Info – Above the friend list button is the button to see and change your own personal info. That’s the info that your friends read when they want to know who you are and what you like. Make sure you keep this info current and fun.
- Adding Videos – Click on the “Post Video” to add a video to Facebook Lite.